Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Digging a hole - Part 3

Blog Catch Up: This really happened in November 2018, although the wording of the text makes it seem as if it happened today.

Work has commenced on the trench. First I painted the whole shebang with a tan colored latex paint. Just to get the pink foam out of the way. I then started to form the actual trench. I cut away some top material where the road crosses, and painted that area gray. This to prepare for the gravel that lies under the asphalt but will show around the trench edeges. I also added some foam to the bottom of the trench in that area, where digging is not yet complete and the trench consequently should be a little more shallow.

 


Next I added the basic mud and clay layer on the bottom of the trench, and along part of the sides. I blended some unsanded grout (the stuff you use to attach tiles) with water and the above mentioned tan latex paint. This gave me a muddy looking paste.



Next, I spread this guck in the trench. I have no idea what kind of marks a digger bucket leaves in dug out dirt but I anyway tried to create some kind of plausible pattern left by the teeth of the bucket. This is what it looks like right know, with the guck still uncured. I kind of like the last view.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment