Saturday, September 10, 2022

A park scene with a bridge - part 1

First, the work to restore the missing photos is ongoing. It is a lot of them but I am slowly working through the posts, backwards in time.

In the meantime I have begun a new project - a small scene of a footbridge in a park. The inspiration is from a nearby park, namely Drottningholmsparken which is surrounding the royal residence here in the outskirts of Stockholm, Sweden. In that park there are a few (three I think) similar bridges across the ponds and canals. They all have wrought iron railings, painted green. Here are some photos.





I though that a scene with a bridge like this across some water would be fun to build. So I sat out to do just that.

I made the railings from brass rod, bronze wire and flat silver thread. The silver thread was for the curly shapes of the railings. I used silver thread since that was the only thing I could find in suitable dimensions. It was not that pricey after all.

I made a jig in order to be able to produce all the curly pieces in a consistent way. The jig was the just curly shape cut out to scale size in a piece of styrene sheet. Here is a work in progress picture also showing the silver thread and the jig.


All pieces of the railings were soldered together, and a bridge deck was made from balsa and basswood. Here the railings are test fitted on the deck.





I also made a first attempt at painting the deck, but I am not too happy with the result. I might need to redo that.



No comments:

Post a Comment